I created a simple Q/A template for one of my classes this semester and decided I might as well post it online!
I have secured a domain and webhost at least for the next 2 months. I’ve decided that because I’ve spent so much time the last year working on other peoples’ websites, that I would likely enjoy working on my own site for a change. The site still has a ton of work left to make it more presentable but check it out if you’re interested: http://e64.us/
The upcoming LudumDare #30 at the end of August has been on my mind for a couple of weeks now. I think I’m going to try to do something for it. It occurs just a few days before my classes start up again so I have no excuses to not participate! After my last attempt in a speed development event, I learned quite a few things which I don’t intend to ignore this time around. Namely, I’m going to be using Java and a game development library (Slick) that I have a lot more experience with. Hopefully the theme will be something inspiring!
Great well explained talk on regular expressions. Fear them no longer!
I’m currently taking an Introduction to Discrete Structures course at the University of Arizona that introduced me to PROLOG and after learning the basics of that language I decided I wanted to give functional programming another go. This time, I actually have got something working. Unfortunately WordPress doesn’t have syntax highlighting for Haskell specifically, but it at least highlights certain keywords. EDIT: I’ve updated the code with type-definitions and removed some redundant parenthesis thanks to a some helpful redditors.
After reading about others’ development strategies for the 2013 7DRL I stumbled upon a post by one developer who mentioned off-handedly using Wang tiles for the level generation in his game. Naturally, my interest was piqued as I have always been interested in procedural generation and never had heard of this concept before. After searching I found a rather sterile Wikipedia entry followed by this rather useful article on the topic. The core idea of Wang tiles is that as long as all the edges of each tile in a tiled surface match the edges of their neighbors the tiles will appear congruous and can be used to add complexity to a texture or game easily.
Interestingly enough, it’s also easy to generate an entire grid and fill it with Wang tiles. You can place the tiles row by row and you only need to ensure each new tiles’ connected edges match the tiles already laid down above and to the left of it (if those tiles exist.) Otherwise, you can use any tile in the set. I decided to implement my own Wang tiles system using pygame. As you can see, the implementation is straightforward and allows for easy expansion for adding more side-types (currently having two: closed or open.) I’ve added a snippet of the resulting image generated by the program below. Wang tiles are a very interesting, and simple, concept. I’m glad I discovered them as I’m sure I’ll put them to good use in the future!
I’ve made some updates to the game. Terrain destroyed is now darkened instead of removed to show where terrain used to be and to give the illusion that there is more depth to the terrain. This is similar to other artillery games out there, but I feel it does add a bit to the destruction. Also, you can now control the angle and power and shoot a simple projectile from the left-side tank. Next I need to implement a turn-based system, wind that is randomized between turns, and the ability to switch between weapons.
A video showing off the new changes can be found below: